Sunday, February 06, 2011

Painting: January 2011



22" x 26", oil on canvas

I'm thinking of a convict tracking time with hatch marks in relation to my dots. I'm not using them to keep a calendar or with longing for the passing of time. The dots occur in time, however, as actions and records of a moment. Like the prisoner's marks, they result from my existence in time-space.

The convict is uncertain of the future, as am I. I don't think the convict has the same relish for making his mark, the drag of the pencil or chalk on the wall. His marks are numerical symbols. Mine incorporate vision, organization, and sensation. Both are emblematic of will. Both are of personal importance.

My dots are made with the love of painting and the belief that they, and hence painting, matter. I know what the paintings of others mean to me and so I persist, insist that they are relevant. Take a step back and its our collective hope that our lives matter. It's our will that makes it so. No giving up.


No comments: