Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hydrangea Oil Pastels (PRIVATE COLLECTION)








Blue, Pink, & White, 18" x 12", oil pastel on black paper, PRIVATE COLLECTION

I'm working on a pink hydrangea oil painting - slow going.

The Poetry Foundation has a great podcast, Poetry Off the Shelf. I came across the July 9, 2010 installment where poets Edward Hirsch (President of the Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation) and Nick Flynn read Israeli and Slovenian poems in translation. One of the poems read by Hirsch was by an Israeli poet about his father. Hirsch commented on the particular tenderness in the poem, so unlike American Modernism. A hallmark of the latter is a coolness and rejection of anything with feeling for fear of sentimentality. This has continued in American Art and I am certain my bubbly and joyful images made out of color would be deemed frivolous and less serious through this lens. Today is my fortieth birthday. At forty, opinions about my art which run contrary to their truth are irrelevant. Just as certain as wrinkles beginning to set, so is my self-confidence. Dot I will.

No comments: