Monday, May 19, 2008

Rounded Blue



18" x 24"
oil on panel

This strange shape for sky and clouds looks almost like a giant eye and reminds me of the eye sockets of skulls held up to the sky by O'Keefe. Perhaps the white on the sides is also like white curtains being drawn back, theatrical. The shadow in the foreground adds depth as does the reflected light on the hills. The blue seems to press forward as well as to recede. It is one of my more harmonious paintings. The brief commentary this week matches the reduction in the painting.

I went to NYC this week and saw the Whitney Biennial. Painting was barely represented and it was difficult to take in the numerous pieces of art in various media. I wasn't so excited about the work overall, but I did like this piece by Carol Bove.

I especially enjoyed the Guston drawing show at the Morgan Library (I'm off to draw next, very motivating!). Another highlight was the show of Natalie Charkow reliefs and Ruth Miller paintings at the Lohin Geduld Gallery. The reproductions don't do justice to the caring marriage of hand and eye in both these artists' work. They are two women who have made art their lives and have persisted in their own visions regardless of trends.



No comments: