Sunday, January 16, 2011

Two Oil Pastels


Red-Violet Maple, 18" x 15", oil on canvas



Maple, Purple, Green, 18" x 12", oil pastel on black paper



Night Maple, 18" x 12", oil pastel on black paper

Hip Hop artist Jay Z spun his song Hard Knock Life from Charles Strouse's It's a Hard Knock Life written for the musical Annie (Strouse says he was flattered). Jay Z was attracted to the lyrics because of the grit; he liked that it showed how it really is for some kids.

These works of mine have grit, an edge. They aren't pastoral. They have expressive marks and are skeletal, a builder's framing of a tree.

The bare canvas lights the form of the tree in Red-Violet Maple. The black paper provides atmosphere for Maple, Purple, Green and Night Maple. Their limited palette shows restraint, minimalism in service to form.

I love drawing in color. Here I wasn't willing to totally abandon it; I still wanted it for feeling. I draw with color when I use the iPad. It is some kind of drawing/painting hybrid just like pastels. I also love Hard Knock Life and hip hop dancing even though I'm a generally quiet white girl (o.k., it's been a long time since I've been a girl). The images are hybrids of my internal quiet and energy, strong from years of abrasive grit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

would you sell your purple tree painting?

Nicole Maynard-Sahar said...

I would. Do you mean the oil pastel "Maple, Purple, Green"? Please contact me via email nicolemayn@gmail.com. Thank you.