Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blue Hydrangea




Blue Hydrangea, 24" x 24", oil on panel, PRIVATE COLLECTION


Blue Hydrangeas popped up all over my neighborhood this summer, a burst of color along my runs. I have a bush on my doorstep and was disappointed it isn't blue, but then I learned changing fertilizers can determine their color from pink to blue.

"The color of the hydrangea's flower is based on the acidity or pH level of the soil. The plant will maintain a blue flower color if the soil is between 5 to 5.5." It apparently has to do with an amount of aluminum in the soil. I know this thanks to EHow. I'm a terrible gardener.

I had to think of how I would translate them to paint, how much I would embrace or deny the volume of their spherical blossoms. I worked through it as I went along, having a general feeling of what I was after but not knowing what it would look like in the end. I painted in extended and brief sessions, sometimes stealing moments in the evening to throw in a few more dots. The dots are drawn, as it is impossible for me to make a dab of the brush that would make a circle. Impressionists worked with dabs like the painting Port St. Tropez by Paul Signac.

Dabs, circles require diligence, labor is evident. It isn't drudgery, however. Each piece of paint is painted with joy, or at least the belief in joy. There is an insistence fulfilled through the repetition, a sense of certainty. It is an attitude to bring to the start of each day, hoping it will sparkle.

3 comments:

Singerna said...

This is stunning-- I really love the bright blue colors and the greens together -- it helps that hydrangas are some of my favorite flowers.

Suemoon said...

You should display your art in Second Life. The Community Virtual Library has an art gallery on one of its sims. they are always looking for good graphic art.

Sharon GR said...

Beth is right; you fully captured the shape and the colors. Beautiful.