Sunday, January 03, 2010

Pink Roses from Amy

Pink Roses From Amy #1, 8 1/2"x6" watercolor 2010



Pink Roses From Amy#2, watercolor 9" x 6 1/2" 2010


I just arrived at my new house in Rhode Island. I am leaving the countryside of Western New York as my son wants a more walkable neighborhood and friends on his street rather than our somewhat isolated country road. We will also be closer to friends and family and fellow artists for me. We are leaving behind good friends, however, whom I wish could come with us. Last year my friend, Carin, who gave me the first bouquet of pink roses (they inspired the series of oil paintings) is one of them. My friend, Amy, is another. Amy brought be a dozen pink roses at our coffee "goodbye", knowing how much I liked the first roses. You know, being given a dozen roses by a friend rather than a boyfriend is different. If they had been red roses, given the cultural significance, it would have been a little strange. These flowers were both complete surprises and conveyed the warmth of the friendships. I am very fortunate to have such friends and I think the spirit of the paintings reflect this. The oil paintings as well as these watercolors are celebratory and intensely alive. I think we feel more alive when someone steps out of their box to express their love. I'm not an overly sentimental person but occasionally I'll get a bit teary when witnessing such moments in others. It is funny but when I heard of the passing of health care vote through the Senate I had such a feeling. It was particular to the way Senator Robert C. Byrd of West Virginia, a Democrat who typically wouldn't have voted for the bill, said "This is for my friend, Ted Kennedy --Aye!" It is an amazing thing when relationships can be so strong and close to one's heart.

I hope you have a Happy New Year filled with such warmth. Back to the boxes...

3 comments:

Flowers said...

Nice blog. Like the painting of roses. It really looks awesome. Enjoyed your blog very much. You are a blessed artist.

Debbie Miller said...

hi Nicole - my son Teddy came home from school today all excited that the 'new kid' in class has a mom who is an artist too! so of course we had to look you up :)

Welcome to RI!! and happy painting
-Debbie

Sharon GR said...

It will be interesting to see how the change in scenery from NY to RI changes your artwork.