Sunday, April 05, 2009

March





36" x 42"
oil on canvas
March is windy! The dots are blowing, springing out into space; invisible vectors seem to pull the eye back in. The center strip of landscape substitutes for a vertical person, the white the outside world. The dots' flow is symbolic of a personal connection with the life. Like an individual, the landscape is rich, layered, complete within itself as it sends out positive energy and receives it in turn. The circle is known to be a symbol of the self. As such, the dots can additionally be seen as a collection of individuals also radiating their uniqueness and place in the universe. [Do I sound New Age-y or what?] It is a picture of harmony but also fluctuation and change. We don't always know which way the wind will blow. Lyrics from one of my favorite songs, U2's Kite, "Who's to say where the wind will take you Who's to say what it is will break you I don't know Where the wind will blow".
A reoccurring theme is still there: a window looking out into the landscape. Pinpoints of the view appear through sheer curtains. As far as curtains go, I thought of those white ones with stitches forming tiny dots.
There is a good article describing the symbolism of the circle by two mathematicians: Reza Sarhangi and Bruce D. Martin.
A landscape I responded to as a kid that I think relates to this painting is the poppy scene in The Wizard of Oz. The plentiful poppies cause the journeying characters to become hallucinogenic. The sudden snow shower pinches them awake and they continue, not knowing if their destination will fulfill their longing. The grass, a neutral light ochre with variation, is newly uncovered from snow. The painting is the moment of awakening. There is more certainty in my painting than the movie scene, but I think the color and movement of the dots dazzle, kaleidoscopic, like the bright red of an expansive poppy field. In high school I painted a copy of Monet's Poppy Field in a Hollow Near Giverny at the request of a friend. I had forgotten until now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I *LOVE* this one; it just explodes off the canvas! I've enjoyed many of your "dots" paintings, but this one is the renegade that has such a life of its own - like the dots have free will and are trying to escape. So much energy. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Nicole Maynard-Sahar said...

Thanks, David. I am pleased with the energy in this one and hope to use some of the spatial ideas in future paintings.

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Your poppy field references give this piece new meaning for me. Thanks for sharing it.