Thursday, July 19, 2007

White Circle





collage on Arches paper, 5" x 3"


There must be more, right?

As there are subtleties to quiet, so there are to this kind of art.

I never quite thought of myself as a Minimalist, although I have done some geometric abstraction in the past. Minimalists are sometimes described as working without metaphor and personal expression, focusing instead on visual impact. I am all about all those things and think that the most basic of forms can inspire metaphor.

I've decided to not be afraid of simplicity, since the impetus to make work in this vein is strong. I'm not abandoning anything, just widening my scope. It is summer and it is like learning how to relax. Productivity, filling time up with activities can be distractions from reflection, as many people seeking spiritual direction will testify. Art objects are made to contemplate. Many people go to museums as if to church.

This work has silence in it.