Sunday, March 13, 2011

The River




9" x 12", oil on panel

Just in case you were missing the hard-core dots...
I like the different ways of looking at this - the sensation of falling, rising, a field (area), strata, aerial, the blue melding in with the green in planes. Concepts relating to possible readings include levels of social position and individuals within larger society, strata of meaning, and parallel layers of geological deposits. You can just take it and run with it.

I recently viewed an excellent interview with painter Philip Guston on YouTube made by the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. A statement he made regarding the generation of ideas as multiple pathways resonates with me not only in painting but especially with my current iPad Project:

"Nothing is ever solved in painting; it's a continuous chain that sometimes doesn't go in one line, goes in a serpentine line or in crooked paths, detours which have to be investigated. I felt like an explorer who almost got to the top of Mount Everest and somehow stopped just short and remembered and thought 'maybe I forgot some gear, forgot some equipment' but in going down to recover this equipment I took side paths that looked exciting, full of possibilities."

Here's to going off the path which is maybe the right path.



No comments: