Friday, May 18, 2007

Daffodils, Loss


36" x 24"
oil on panel, PRIVATE COLLECTION
Now I just know that someone somewhere will see this and say, "I love those daffodils; I just wish she didn't stick that black square in there, otherwise I would buy it!" I like to do this in a falsetto voice to amuse friends. C'est la vie.
It's spring and there is plenty to be jubilant about, but sometimes there is loss, even in spring. The black square is that gaping hole, the void, the pit of one's stomach. The vertical picture relates to the body, a torso, if you will, and the square is like one's gut. But, you know, it also looks like a square of dirt, which could make one think of a grave with flowers around it, or of ordering nature. Let's go with gardening. It could be that bald spot in your lawn that you need to patch or a new flower bed to be planted. The negative is not always negative but unused potential waiting for seeds.