Friday, April 20, 2007

Loaves and Fishes (version 4)

digital image

My pastor asked if my image of the Loaves and Fishes could be used for the cover of our church bulletin this Sunday as it matched the gospel reading. I couldn't find a jpeg handy, so did this digital version anew on my tablet. I have two versions of the image done in oil and one in woodcut that was used for a church fundraiser. The digital will reproduce easily.
The painted versions of The Loaves and Fishes show more clearly that the two hands of Jesus rising from the ocean are of different races. Also the round, golden pita loaves double as halos. I like the simplified iconography, "x" composition, and strong forms emerging out of agitated, rhythmic water. Artists often return to the same subject and hands are one of my favorites.